I'll be honest: I thought the jig was up.
After the end of the FTC's 2013 Robocall challenge, I figured the market would be flooded with devices and apps that would stop robocalls.
The solution seemed obvious. Buy magic box. Magic box checks that an actual person is calling. Maybe some reporting on call stats for analytics later. Nothing crazy.
None of that happened. I mean to say, not in the fashion one might expect.
There are a handful of services; some mobile apps, some VoIP-only solutions, but no one thing that stops them on all calling devices. The market demands a solution that works on every phone, mobile or landline.
So since it doesn't exist, I finally built it.
With some help from the talented engineers at EICSS, I now have a hardware prototype that blocks ALL robocalls on ALL landlines. That's the nice thing about having a hardware-based solution ;)
Here's what I'm doing:
- Consolidating the design onto a single board for production
- Fleshing out back-end database code for analytics on blocked calls.
- Polishing up the Android app prototype - to work by itself or in conjunction with the landline device for complete robocall blocking on all phones.
In the coming weeks, I'll be running my final software tests on the prototype board and getting the production costs laid out for bringing this device to market. And this dev blog will be documenting it the whole time.
In addition to this, I have released a complete tutorial with source code on how to build the original Banana Phone, so anyone can build one if they so desire (it's actually pretty fun).
It's gonna be an interesting month.
More soon. I gotta sleep.